Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else DNA their pup?

Cavmom
(@cavmom)
Great Member

This is Kirby, he was a rescue. We were so sure he had a lot of Chihuahua and possibly min pin or rat terrier in him. We were too curious, so we sent off his DNA. Well, the three largest percentages were dachshund, Pomeranian, and poodle (poodle???). Next down the list was pug, which we see in his tail. Finally, a very minimal amount of chihuahua. What a hoot to find that out!

snow1217

Topic starter Posted : 16/08/2018 4:04 pm
PositiveDog
(@positivedog)
Fantastic Member

Kirby is cute!  I would probably have guessed as you did. 

DNA is funny stuff sometimes.  Appearance seems to be the least trustworthy way to figure it out.   I was sure Bennie might have some springer spaniel or maybe bearded collie, or something similar.

Who knows what is in the 37% that is too far back to identify, other than it saying terrier and companion breeds.

Here is his breakdown:  
25%Beagle,  12.5%Australian Cattle Dog,  12.5%German Shepherd Dog, 12.5%Labrador Retriever,  37.5%Breed Group(s)

IMG 20180510 104553

This post was modified 6 years ago by PositiveDog

Bonnie with approval of Bennie dog and SamCat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2018 7:01 pm
Puppyjo311
(@puppyjo311)

I haven't but my friend did and her pup had all kinda crazy breeds that we never would've guessed 😂 Love looking at people's pup DNA results it's so interesting!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2018 9:12 am
Cavmom
(@cavmom)
Great Member
Posted by: PositiveDog

Here is his breakdown:  
25%Beagle,  12.5%Australian Cattle Dog,  12.5%German Shepherd Dog, 12.5%Labrador Retriever,  37.5%Breed Group(s)

IMG 20180510 104553

Wow, I would not have guessed the lab part! The poodle part is the real puzzler with Kirby, we don't see any of it. We loved seeing that; the certificate thing is posted on a wall in the  TV room!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/08/2018 11:02 am
MariaandNikita
(@mariaandnikita)
Fantastic Member

I would love to test Nikita! I was told that she’s a chiweenie-heeler but it would be fun to find out!:) Where did you get your test from? @cavmom

EDA66D5C B844 4E82 A922 07152C1824FB

@kitispie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 11:39 am
Cavmom
(@cavmom)
Great Member

Hi Maria!

We used DNAmydog.com. It was a little less expensive than some, results in 2 weeks, but seemed legit. They have DNA from all (?) dog breeds (I think all?) and it is just a matter of running yours for matches and percentages. But there are a lot of places that will do that, you could do a search if you want to research others. We were happy with that one. It really is fun to see what is in there!

Peggy

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/08/2018 3:38 pm
PositiveDog
(@positivedog)
Fantastic Member

I used version 4 of the Wisdom Panel for Bennie.  It was a lot of fun and also provided other genetic information.

Bonnie with approval of Bennie dog and SamCat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 5:40 pm
WineChisDoxies
(@winechisdoxies)

She is absolutely adorable!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2018 3:13 pm
PharmacySheep
(@pharmacysheep)
Fantastic Member

Wow! I would have guessed ChiPom 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2018 8:22 pm
Share:

Want another Red & Howling Cartoon? 🎲🎲

Want to see another cartoon?

🐾 Have something to say?
Jump to comment section! 🐾

Want to get more of my cartoons, stories and fun freebies delivered right to your inbox?

Join my Red and Howling family now!

Need More Red and Howling Fun?
📬Join My Cartoon Newsletter
🎲Surprise Me With a Cartoon Now!

©2020 redandhowling.com All rights reserved

Red and Howling Dogs Make Life Better T-Shirt

(Also available at shop.redandhowling.com)