Signed up for classes  

Page 2 / 3 Prev Next
  RSS
PositiveDog
(@positivedog)
Fantastic Member

Great job! I hope it gets better every week.  

And you get to show how proud you are of your boy, Murphy!

Bonnie with approval of Bennie dog and SamCat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2018 3:57 pm Mad Murphy liked
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member

Ok third lesson.. Inside because of the rain,

Lurking man was there again and I found out what he does for a living because he told the trainer he had to leave his phone on because he was on call..Hes an undertaker! maybe lurking is part of the job description.

So this week we worked on sit and stay as well as some vet training , getting the dogs used to being examined.. Baby steps so this was just getting them to rest their head in your had so that you could look at their eyes or ear flaps .. Baby steps as I say.

Being inside bought new challenges because of all the new sounds and smells. The owners of little fluffy dog kept letting it run over toward Murphy and this distracted him too. The trainer explained to them that while in this setting it was distracting to both dogs in the wider world allowing your dog to be a  social butterfly could be dangerous.

All in all Murphy did well. Im feeling better too, the group is small and I dont have to hang around doing social stuff  so thats nice for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2018 1:52 am Hazel Loves bLoomer, PositiveDog and MariaandNikita liked
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member

Fourth lesson

Im learning to pray ... for them not me.
Murphy did so well last night recall on a long lead ignoring the other dogs and walking over a narrow obsticle course made of ramps platforms and steps.
But some local scum bags kids thought it was funny to throw fireworks at the area we use for training ..This is part of the local dog shelter... When some dogs started barking they laughed, shouted woof woof and threw more bangers.
Only when a very loud bang went off close by did Murphy press himself to my legs but one of the other dogs was running in circles in panic and I could hear the shelter dogs barking and howling.
Now Im a pacifist but ....If I catch anyone throwing fireworks near animals.... They will need to pray and hope for a quick answer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2018 1:47 am PharmacySheep liked
PharmacySheep
(@pharmacysheep)
Fantastic Member

Wow! Is that legal? Where I’m from you can only do fireworks on holidays.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2018 5:05 am
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member
Posted by: PharmacySheep

Wow! Is that legal? Where I’m from you can only do fireworks on holidays.

There are strict laws here too, you may let off fireworks on 31 Dec from 18,00 until Jan 1st at 02,00 so just on new years eve.

Persons under 18 can only buy sparklers and very light fizzy type things the larger types are only for adults and are only sold on 29,30 and 31 of Dec before 31dec.

However many people either hang on to fireworks that are left over... or bring them in from Germany and Belgium . In Belgium the laws are much more relaxed and that leads to tons of heavy fireworks being impounded by police each year. Sadly our laws are quite relaxed too if youths are found with fireworks they get sent to a Halt bureau where they are confronted about their behaviour made to apologise and to make good any damage or pay for damages they have caused.

Every year police warn about giving out big fines or even prison but it never happens except for those caught bringing the illeagal stuff.

Each year on Jan 1st there are calls for a ban but that all fizzeles out by Jan 10th anyway and we are forced to listen to all the tales of woe from people injured whilst mucking about with fireworks who claim to be victims ( only of their own idiotic behaviour)

This post was modified 1 month ago by Mad Murphy
ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2018 6:14 am TheOneWithTheThumbs liked
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Great Member

@mad-murphy I am so sorry.  I'm in california and people are always bringing in illegal fireworks.  most people are just stupid - set them off for personal enjoyment, oblivious to any other person within a hundred miles.  but those boys are mean little aholes. their mamas should beat them proper! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2018 10:09 am PharmacySheep liked
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member

This week I can honestly say Im seeing some of the training tips paying off. This morning a man went past while I was talking to my neighbour , he uses a stick and thats a huge trigger for Murphy but this morning I calmly asked Murphy to sit and gave him treats with his key word ...Yes.. he satyed in the sit accepting the little treats and didnt bark or get spooked at all..

Im actually looking forward to tomorrows lesson..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 2:54 am TheOneWithTheThumbs and Hazel Loves bLoomer liked
PharmacySheep
(@pharmacysheep)
Fantastic Member

Awesome! Good job Murphy!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 6:57 am
Hazel Loves bLoomer
(@hazel-loves-bloomer)
Fantastic Member

@Mad Murphy :

Well, here in the Philippines also although there's a law on firecrackers but some of the ignorant individuals don't care...I hate firecrackers also... especially when our neighbors will play and throw it near bloom²'s house/place...so what we did was we brought him inside our room not just in our living room. That way it's safety for his part...if ONLY there's no more firecrackers 😞

This post was modified 1 month ago by Hazel Loves bLoomer
ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 2:06 pm Mad Murphy liked
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member

Last night was just great... Walking over different surfaces, a trampoline, foam blocks, a big squishy balance cushion etc well he aced it.. He was a little hy of the big balance cushion at first but he soon got over his caution and stepped up when asked to. Then we did sit and stay they all had to sit in a hula hoop and wait until given the 'free' to leave it.. Murphy did way better than Id expected. For the fun bit they all got an egg carton which had some treats in it and they had to learn to flip open the lid.. Which he did like a pro ! He ignored the fireworks that went off across the road from us and this mrongin he didnt even bat an eyelid as we heard the guns from the hunters going off in the distance.
Then as we crossed a narrow wooden bridge with only one handrail he spotted something new and quite scary but with the tips we have learned we were able to ask him to walk on and ignore it,. This was what loomed up out of the mist (electric engine so no noise)

DSCN4717

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/11/2018 2:19 am TheOneWithTheThumbs, Griff Mom, MariaandNikita and 1 people liked
Griff Mom
(@griff-mom)
Outstanding Member

@mad-murphy  Thanks for sharing your experience.  Sounds like a great class!  I especially like the egg carton idea and will try it.  I think the boat looming in the mist could be scary for anyone.  Wonderful work you both are doing!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/11/2018 9:35 am Mad Murphy liked
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member

Thanks @Griff Mom ..Ive never been to any dog class before and I really wasnt looking forward to it. I still dont do social stuff but I am enjoying working with Murphy and he seems to be gaining confidence from it.

Working with what we already know and have mastered Im going to be doing some doorbell training with him this week.. Ive talked to the trainer and she thinks its a good plan as long as we keep it positive and short sessions.

I get it from his point of view, everytime the doorbell rings one of us jumps up and runs out of the room then he can hear us talking to a stranger but he cant see either of us, so he barks.

We are going to first try standing with the door open and just ring the bell, for not reacting he gets a treat. Then progress to closing the door over a bit and have OH stand outside ring the bell and for no response OH gives a treat as the door opens. Then actually closing the door so that the time between the ring and the treat get longer each step of the way. I know he wont be totally at ease with the door bell after one session but I think it could be a step in the right direction. Eventually I would like to try being in the living room and have OH ring the bell so that we get the whole scene as if a stranger is at the door.

Watch this space for updates!

This post was modified 1 month ago by Mad Murphy
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2018 1:27 am PharmacySheep, Griff Mom and MariaandNikita liked
AussieGoldies
(@aussiegoldies)
Great Member

Sounds like things are going well for you and Murphy.....well done to you both! 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/11/2018 11:59 pm
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Fantastic Member

Last night another class and I expected Murphy to be distracted because I had been away all day so he been home alone with his dad.

In fact in did quite well and I saw when he was getting stressed by a new exersize and gave him a pause which the trainer said was really good.

One thing he loved was the relax game at the end and I wanted to share it with others because this is a dog puzzle we can all make very cheaply. Take on silicone muffin tray and balls from the size of a golf ball to tennis ball size plus sone childs plastic tea cups. Start with the golf ball sized ball and drop some treats into a few of the muffin holes but cover them with the small ball so that the dog can nose around and find the treat easily, then try the bigger ball so that the treat is covered and the dog has to nose the ball away, then move onto the tea cup the dog has to pickup that to get to the treat.. She taught us to couple a command 'touch' to the activity so that the dog knows thay have to look under the specific cup or ball.

Murphy loved it and seemed quite sad when the muffin tray and balls got cleared away... I am definetly going to try this at home.. If it works I will share a photo.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Mad Murphy
ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2018 2:32 am PharmacySheep liked
PharmacySheep
(@pharmacysheep)
Fantastic Member

That sounds really interesting, I would love to see some pictures. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2018 5:03 pm
Page 2 / 3 Prev Next
Share: