Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Greetings from Red & Howling!

Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin

I've been in love with and to be honest— obsessed—with animals for as long as I can remember, from my first cats who were dumped on our driveway in rural Virginia, to my current heartthrob, Isabelle, rescued from a dog fighting ring in Virginia.   Animals fill my heart with sunshine and keep me sane in this treacherous world.  I turned me and Isabelle into a GIF because I pretty much want to kiss her all day long!

Dog Love GIF by Red & Howling - Find & Share on GIPHY

More Things about Me: The Zany, Mercurial Girl Behind Red & Howling

I was born just past midnight at 12:16 a.m. on August 27th.  I think I'm 18, but my driver's license refutes this.

I'm a relentless and unyielding Virgo. In other words, I overanalyze everything, I'm demanding, and often neurotic.

At birth, my mother described me as "RED AND HOWLING" in my baby book.  

This explains a lot about me.  And without question, I knew this was the perfect name for my cartoons and messaging.

My favorite color to wear is black because it hides my inevitable stains.  I'd love to wear green more because I have green eyes, but I find it almost impossible to find green clothes and I don't sew.

I love white sheets, but never use them because of all the mystery pet stains that magically appear
after only one day of use, so when I stay in hotels I get abnormally excited.

I like restaurants with soft lighting, comfy chairs, and very clean bathrooms.

I really like peas. Whipped up as a soup they make the most gorgeous celadon-chartreuse color.

I love food and I like finding new edibles and creating new dishes which I never remember because I never write anything down.  My current new favorites are lentil hummus and frozen bananas whipped with a dash of vanilla, cinnamon and dates.  Add raw cacao and it tastes just like chocolate chip ice cream.  Woo-hoo!

I prefer animals to most people and I think many animals are superior to humans.  When I meet kind, lovely people (like you), I'm always surprised and grateful.  It gives me hope in humanity.

I love my dog more than any words can describe, so I rarely talk about how I feel about her.

When I was five, my mom had to cut chewing gum out of my lovely, long strawberry locks.  She cut my hair so short I looked like a trappist monk.  I'm trying to find the photo, so I can post it here  😊 !

When I was little, I was allergic to so many things that my mom decided to pump me full of allergy shots in an attempt to make me feel better.  Bless her overprotective heart.

I was super allergic to cats, but couldn't stop cuddling our five precious black cats: Mamma, Midnight, Isaac, Gladys, and Cinders.  My eyes would swell shut, but I don't think I really cared.

I consider myself a vegan at heart, eschewing all things that harm and oppress animals, but I slip sometimes and eat a little fish or cheese.  I feel horrible and guilty. I have not eaten a cow, pig, duck, lamb, chicken or turkey for 20+ years and I think that's pretty darn good. 

I  think the word vegan is an awful word and does a disservice to the meatless community.  Vegans need a new, hip moniker.  

I’ve embarrassed everyone in my family at least 5 times and I've embarrassed everyone in my husband's family at least 10 times.  I speak my mind and my truth and apparently many people find this offensive and many others just plain don't like it.  

I've wanted to make a difference for animals as long as I can remember.  For many years I donated my time and art to organizations that are dedicated to helping animals, from Doris Day Animal Foundation to PAWS to Greenpeace.  When I was in a position to help on a larger scale, I co-founded Adopt-a-Pet.com which has become north America's largest nonprofit pet adoption web service.

Adopt-a-Pet.com is deeply dedicated to helping animals get out of shelters and into loving homes.  We utilize serious technology and innovative programs to assist the process of adoption.

Once Adopt-a-Pet.com was established, I thought I'd like to help animals in a different way through my art.  My goal is simple: celebrate animals and the love we have for them.  I also want to raise awareness about serious issues, like puppy mills and overpopulation.  I figure people are much more open to learning and changing when something is presented in a positive way. 

SaveAllAnimals

Animals are my favorite kind of people.
Visit my Red & Howling Shop

Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2018 11:43 pm
Usafurbabies, PharmacySheep, PositiveDog and 11 people liked
Mississippi Mutt Mom
(@mississippi-mutt-mom)
Good Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2018 10:46 am
Teri
 Teri
(@teri)

OMG! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who embarrasses family by speaking my mind, and I don't care either. I have so much in common with what you wrote about yourself! So glad to join this community and find similar people! I too agree that animals are superior to humans and so much smarter than us. They don't need to speak to communicate, and are telepathic, advanced sentient beings!!!

Love to you, and thanks for doing what you do!!! ❤️  ❤️  ❤️ 

332716 2739964051913 973006872 o

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/06/2018 6:14 am
Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin

Thank you for your lovely message Teri.  I know there will be many kindred spirits here on this community!  Thank you for joining.  I love your photo ❤️ !   

Animals are my favorite kind of people.
Visit my Red & Howling Shop

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/06/2018 10:00 am
Snickers liked
MyFourCavaliers
(@myfourcavaliers)

Love seeing your photo and your bio!!! hooray for this community. xo

Shellie. Olive. Violet. Jackson & Gigi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2018 7:59 am
Kzu
 Kzu
(@kzu)
Fantastic Member

I love the meaning behind your name red and howling 😂 I wasn't a very good kid so it's probably something my mum would have described me as too.

I had no idea you cofounded a pet adoption website! I knew you supported animal charities with your art but had no clue about your site. You're so cool @redandhowling!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2018 10:11 pm
doggymama76
(@doggymama76)

I was born in Poland, at 5 years of age my mom, dad, and I moved to the USA. During my short time in Poland I visited and sometimes stayed with my grandma who had cats, chickens, bunnies, and the occasional pigs. Of course the animals were all for food, but it didn’t stop me from loving them and playing with them.  As I grew up in America, I had small pets from time to time, fish, birds, hamsters, a pet rabbit for a short time. My dad would bring home stray cats and because they weren’t house trained my mom would end up getting rid of them. At the time we didn’t know the things we know now, but we also moved around so much we never keep a home or a pet for long. I knew this was not how I wanted to live my life when I became an adult. So when I was finally in the position to buy my own house (on four acres of land) I ended up with 5 dogs at one time. Four of them have passed on, but my chihuahua, Teca, is still with me now (12 years old)! And of course before I moved from that house I welcomed my newest addition Luna, she is now 6 years old and has been a wonderful companion in all the chaos we go through. Two Job losses and moving 5 times in the last  4 years. I feel like the only thing normal about my life is my dogs, they keep me going.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2018 8:46 am
doggymama76
(@doggymama76)

276EFEBD BC35 4217 A8B0 8394CA6511F4

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2018 8:48 am
filothemaltesegirl
(@filothemaltesegirl)
Outstanding Member

Welcome @doggymama76 ! Luna and Teca are absolutely adorable! Dogs can be such good companions during moments like that! I totally feel you! ❤🐾

Claud (Filó's human)
IG: @filothemaltesegirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2018 9:02 am
Griff Mom
(@griff-mom)
Fantastic Member

I love that the name "Red & Howling" came from your Mom describing YOU!  Ha, and I thought it was perhaps one of your favorite pets.  Thank you for your art, Adopt-a-Pet and this community!  You have accomplished so much in your 18 years (wink, wink). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2018 6:18 pm
Marilyncatherine
(@marilyncatherine)

I just found your site and I think your cartoons are so cute. I'm looking forward to reading the articles and sharing my love of fur babies. 

I have to admit, I love animals more than people as well. I've always had a special connection with them. ❤🐾🐾🐾🐾

Happy to have found this pet loving community.

Marilyn (pet mom to: Our black German Shepherd boys: Heathcliff & Mr. Darcy and Tiny (my little old beautiful bag of bones kitty) and my beautiful black Halloween kitty, Spooky. Oh, and I have a sweet lovely human daughter too. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2018 4:10 pm
Marilyncatherine
(@marilyncatherine)

I just found your site and I think your cartoons are so cute. I'm looking forward to reading the articles and sharing my love of fur babies. 

I have to admit, I love animals more than people as well. I've always had a special connection with them. ❤🐾🐾🐾🐾

Happy to have found this pet loving community.

Marilyn (pet mom to: Our black German Shepherd boys: Heathcliff & Mr. Darcy and Tiny (my little old beautiful bag of bones kitty) and my beautiful black Halloween kitty, Spooky. Oh, and I have a sweet lovely human daughter too. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2018 4:10 pm
Usafurbabies
(@usafurbabies)
Good Member

Happy Birthday Amy!

You are the best!

🌻

Sherry, Stella & The Marvel 5

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2018 4:40 pm
Share: