Notifications
Clear all

Allergies  

RSS
ErinC
(@erinc)
Good Member

We have two dogs - a chihuahua and a chi-mix. They both get itchy skin that seems to really bug them this time of year. The vet suggestions over-the-counter allergy pills. Didn't help. So we paid for the $50 anti-itch pills - twice. I was wondering if anyone has any other tips on how to get these pups some relief? I feel so helpless not being able to help them!

Thanks so much!

Posted : 30/06/2018 10:25 pm
Kzu and Red & Howling liked
Kzu
 Kzu
(@kzu)
Fantastic Member

Hey @ErinC, what are you feeding your pups? Max had terribly itchy skin when we first got him but it was because he was allergic to grains. We changed his food, and his itchiness went away completely in a week ☺️

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:11 am
Kzu
 Kzu
(@kzu)
Fantastic Member

Also, coconut oil does wonders for dog's skin and coat! You may wants to try it - it smells good too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:13 am
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Amazing Member

Murphy cant have beef and he gets itchy when the grass is cut so that first day after mowing is a big itchy problem. We get  apoquel  from our vets.  We dont use it all the time but if the grass has been cut we give him 1 per day for about 3 days to prevent an attack. This seems to work well for us and out vet is ok with that. I have to say it was months before we worked out what it was, we kept a diary of what he ate and where he had walked, thats when we noticed the mowing pattern. Another tip is that as we return from our main walk we have a watering can full of water ready  and we rinse him off paws and chin his tummy too is he is mucky and this also seems to help keep the triggers to a minimum..

We also make sure he is up to date on his flea and tick treatments which also help deter other stinging insects (we get a lot of mosquitos)

We include coconut oil in Murphys food and he loves it. His coat is so glossy he looks as if he has been polished!

Hope you find a solution soon

DSCN7080

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:43 am
PharmacySheep, Kzu, Red & Howling and 1 people liked
Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin

Hello @erinc, I am so frustrated!  I just typed out a very long and thorough response to your question and I LOST it!  ARrrrrrgh.  So I've retyped it as best as I could considering it is almost 1 in the morning and my eyes are crossing.

I'm so very sorry to hear this about your  beloved chihuahuas.  It is horrible to see our babies suffer with endless itchy skin, runny eyes, and noses.  Because you have tried allergy medicine (prescribed and OTC) with no success, I think you have to be diligent about eliminating as many culprits as you can.  Dogs can be assaulted by everything from pollens to molds to chemicals to flea bites to foods.  And multiple allergens can effect your dogs.  

For some immediate relief, I CANNOT stress enough, a pure, healthy diet.  Regardless of the origin of the allergies, a super-healthy diet will give your dogs' bodies the best chance at healing.  

Wipe your dogs down with a damp towel when you come in from a walk to remove pollens from their coats. 

Give your pups regular baths with soothing, natural shampoos.  I just found one on Amazon that I absolutely LOVE called Moosh.  It isn't cheap, but a little goes a long way and my Isabelle's coat has never felt better and it soothes her skin like no other shampoo that I've ever tried and I'm usually not very impressed with products.

I would give Vitamin C orally which is a wonderful natural antihistamine : Cheryl Schwartz, DVM, “Four Paws, Five Directions: A Guide to Chinese Medicine for Cats and dogs.” Schwartz suggests giving vitamin C to dogs with a variety of issues, like skin allergies (small dogs, 125 mg. twice daily; medium and large dogs, up to 750 mg. twice daily).  

I would also add Omega 3 fatty acid supplementation which can really help your pups feel better.

Here is a nice succinct and excellent Canine Allergy Treatment Summary by Dr. Randy Kidd— past president of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association:

My general treatment protocol for allergies looks something like this:

• Reduce the flea populations on and around the dog.

• Reduce the potential for food allergies by improving the quality of the food, and at the same time . . .

• Enhance the immune system with high-quality food and nutritional supplements.

• Don’t challenge the immune system excessively – with any vaccines that are less than absolutely necessary, for example.

• Use natural anti-inflammatory herbs and supplements (Omega 3 fatty acids, etc.)

• Consider acupuncture or homeopathy for chronic and/or severe cases (NOTE: I’ve often been disappointed when using these two in combination for treating allergies).

• Reduce environmental causes of allergy – airborne smoke and dust particles, for example. Air quality is important in preventing the passage of allergens through the air. If your dog (or anyone else in the family) has allergies, consider using a quality household air filter.

• Whenever possible, use methods that enhance the animal’s innate ability to balance its own immune system and use methods that are the most natural and have the least potential for toxicity. However . . .

• If early therapeutic attempts are not productive, consider testing for specific allergens (using skin or blood tests or a food elimination diet) if other methods do not seem to be working.

• There may come a time when you may need to resort to medicines we know to be toxic and/or medicines that shut down the immune system rather than helping to balance it. Only you can decide when your dog and even you cannot take any more itching and scratching, and the loss of hair, skin, weight, sleep, and/or sanity that often accompanies severe allergy.

It has been said that sometimes, along our journey to wellness, we need to see and feel how it looks and feels to be well, so we can try to get back to this place. Sometimes I get the feeling that dogs affected with allergies – after perhaps months of itching and scratching, of evident pain and sleep loss – have forgotten how it feels to be well. With these cases, I think it is important to let them experience wellness, however briefly, even if it means that we may have to resort to types of medications such as glucocorticoids and/or antihistamines that I would ultimately like to avoid.

I think we need to approach allergies (and other chronic diseases) with an understanding that the treatment protocol we choose will likely require time, effort, and discipline; that we may never be able to come up with a treatment regime using a linear-logical approach; and that, in the end, we may not truly find our way out of the maze of allergies, no matter what we try.

The above is excerpted from, a wonderful and thorough article called: Understanding Canine Allergies

I hope some of this helps you with you pups.  Keep me posted!  And I hope they feel much better soon!

Animals are my favorite kind of people.
Visit my Red & Howling Shop

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:47 am
ErinC
(@erinc)
Good Member

Thanks so much! (And Murphy is one handsome dude!) I like Apoquel is what we get too. The allergies here are certainly weather related. Definitely going to give that coconut oil a try - might not help with allergies but certainly can't hurt! Thanks again for taking the time to reply 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:48 am
Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin

@mad-murphy you are very glossy and beautiful indeed!  Wonderful suggestion about the coconut!  😍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:55 am
Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin
Posted by: Kzu

Hey @ErinC, what are you feeding your pups? Max had terribly itchy skin when we first got him but it was because he was allergic to grains. We changed his food, and his itchiness went away completely in a week ☺️

@kzu, I've eliminated grains, too and Isabelle is so much better!  I've been buying coconut "butter", not just oil and we both eat a little right out of the jar.  Delicious!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 12:58 am
Kzu liked
doctorpatti
(@doctorpatti)

@erinc, It sounds like seasonal itching, I do see this quite often in my clinic and I approach this with a multi-modal approach:

1. Hypoallergenic diets, sensitive skin diets, my favorite over the counter is Earthborn Coastal Catch.

2.HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs  and cream rinses.

3. If meds are needed, I use Temaril-P which is a combination of an anti-histamine and low dose prednisone. Tablets are always easier to adjust doses and wean off than “steroid injections”. 

4. Cytopoint is also a new approach to alleviate itching. I have a handful of patients using this product which is: 8-12 weeks itch free.

Discuss the above with your Vet and see what their thoughts are. Good luck and btw I’m a HUGE Chi-nut.....~Dr Patti

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 5:56 am
Fiddyrock
(@fiddyrock)

Make sure to get unrefined organic Coconut oil and you can rub it directly on your pups itchy area and feed it to them, Google or ask your vet for amount vs size

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2018 9:41 pm
wend
 wend
(@wend)
Great Member

Not tried it myself but I hear good things about this stuff:

https://www.stinky-stuff.co.uk/product-cat/dog-remedies/

I have been giving my dogs coconut oil for a long time and over the last few months Whisper (and me!) have been taking golden paste, a natural anti-inflammatory. My joints have definitely benefited from it.

wend 🐾

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2018 11:23 pm
Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin
Posted by: wend

Not tried it myself but I hear good things about this stuff:

https://www.stinky-stuff.co.uk/product-cat/dog-remedies/

I have been giving my dogs coconut oil for a long time and over the last few months Whisper (and me!) have been taking golden paste, a natural anti-inflammatory. My joints have definitely benefited from it.

I love coconut oil for me and Isabelle.  I've not heard of that paste.  Probably because I'm in the U.S., but I'm going to look it up.  I have sore joints and so does Isabelle!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2018 9:20 am
wend
 wend
(@wend)
Great Member

You make golden paste yourself, turmeric, freshly ground black pepper, and coconut oil. Tastes awful but seems to work wonders!

Same recipe for dogs and humans. Start small (1\4 tsp, twice a day) and build up. I currently take 2 tsp twice a day, Whisper has 1 tsp twice a day with meals.

Healing With Turmeric Golden Paste For Dogs

wend 🐾

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2018 11:51 am
Share:

Want another Red & Howling Cartoon? 🎲🎲

Want to see another cartoon?

Need More Red and Howling Fun?
📬Join My Cartoon Newsletter
🎲Surprise Me With a Cartoon Now!

Buy art. Do good.
shop.redandhowling.com