Notifications
Clear all

Collars  

RSS
Griff Mom
(@griff-mom)
Fantastic Member

What do folks in this community think about when purchasing collars for their FBF (furry best friend)? 

I am wondering about a couple of things:

1) irritation and hair loss around the collar area.  My last purchases were bamboo based collars with their name and phone number printed on the collar.  They were purchased online (Etsy) and seem to contribute to some hair loss as well as not very sturdy. 

2) tags getting caught on things that could pull and choke them.

3) good quality that will take a beating.

My FBFs are between 50-60 lbs. and quite active in the 1+ acre yard which has lots of natural brush.

Thanks peeps!

Posted : 10/09/2018 6:48 pm
MariaandNikita
(@mariaandnikita)
Fantastic Member

Nikita is wearing a collar from Sewing Network on Etsy and tags from Rawkette also on Etsy. We had this for years and we never had a problem. It’s been through rain, snow, mud, water, everything and it still looks good. Nikita is only wearing her collar when we’re going for walks so at home she’s free:) 

C4DA8391 58B8 4E22 8268 CA37D7B6E0DA

@kitispie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2018 8:21 pm
Bryan and Griff Mom liked
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Amazing Member

Murphy has a plain red house collar with a tag (just in case he escapes) but when out its always a harness because we use a flexi lead and a long line to walk him so a harness is the only safe option.

DSCN1055

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2018 11:39 pm
wend
 wend
(@wend)
Great Member

I always use martingale collars for my two, stay loose most of the time but tighten up when pulled on so they can't slip out of them

received 1490248191050722

wend 🐾

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2018 4:11 am
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

When my girl was an only child i bought a matching leather collar and leash set with the name plate riveted to the collar from dogids.com.  The inside is smooth, never had any trouble with rubbing or chaffing.

After the boy came along....  *sigh*  Let's just say we don't wear collars anymore.  The chances of them running off, getting lost, picked up by animal control (or worse) is much less a risk than the blood bath i'd face if i left them in collars.  yea, he has ""issues""  🙄 

10366217 10153059951063890 355393254788018032 n

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2018 2:58 pm
Griff Mom
(@griff-mom)
Fantastic Member

@mariaandnikita  Thanks for your help!   I tried the Sewing Network from Etsy and they arrived!  They are nice and bright!  I like to put the phone number on them just in case they escape our fenced yard.  Waggle was especially good at finding or making escape holes to chase after rabbits, squirrels or whatever was small and moving!  I think the nylon will hold up better than the bamboo ones I used to get from Snazzy Fido.

20181106 102436
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2018 1:02 pm
Griff Mom
(@griff-mom)
Fantastic Member

@wend  I like to use a martingale as well, especially for walks or training.  Woody walks well with that collar and short leash.  Waggle, on the other hand, pulled so much on the martingale collar, that we switched her out to a "no-pull" harness just to keep her safe from choking herself.  She is a wild child!  She still pulls, but not as much as she used to do.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2018 1:53 pm
wend liked
PharmacySheep
(@pharmacysheep)
Fantastic Member

Cocoa doesn’t wear it often but when she does we use a harness

FD7B5622 0403 402B 9BBB A26A32A02945
A5C05DC7 3821 41C5 8C87 43BBD92C6C6F

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 6:09 am
Griff Mom liked
MariaandNikita
(@mariaandnikita)
Fantastic Member

Awww look at that @griff-mom some good looking dogs right there 😍 and little cocoa bean sooooo cute @pharmacysheep 😍

@kitispie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 9:08 am
sherryvan
(@sherryvan)

My dog got a dog tracker collar. This allows me to clearly know where it is now. Don't worry about it get lost again.

With it, you can set up a geofence. If the dog leaves the geofence, it will notify you in time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2019 10:59 pm
Share:

Want another Red & Howling Cartoon? 🎲🎲

Want to see another cartoon?

Need More Red and Howling Fun?
📬Join My Cartoon Newsletter
🎲Surprise Me With a Cartoon Now!

Buy art. Do good.
shop.redandhowling.com
©2020 redandhowling.com All rights reserved