Dental care?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Amazing Member

@griff-mom  There are limits  ...I recently contacted a butcher about some lambs tongue because Id like to try that for the boys but he suppies a whole sheeps head ! I really dont think I could cope with watching them chow down on a whole sheeps head in my liing room !!!

I order online and have the meat delivered in neat 1kg packages so it is all very  convenient really.. Just have to have a seperate freezer and make sure all our hygiëne practices are really sharp, to avoid any nasty cross contamination.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2019 12:38 am
Griff Mom liked
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

@griff-mom i was vacuuming last night and noticed all the dark colored droplet stains on the area rug - it has to be from drinking in the crate then walking to the middle of the room with drippy chins. 😆 

As to canine diet, i know just enough to be dangerous!  I have read bzillions of articles and have found you can find "facts" to support whatever you want to believe as gospel truth 🤣  I agree with species appropriate to a degree....  i think if people really want to honor their dogs ancestral health; dashounds should eat rabbit, terriers rats and pekingese nothing but pop tarts and potato chips 😉  I mean...  could you really see a pug taking down a buffalo?  🤣 🤣 🤣 

But also, i'm a coward who is very bad at math!  My dogs are 50/50 raw and kibble.  Everything about them improved when i started giving them raw - attitude, hair, skin, energy!  But i'm so afraid i'm going to miss something, or screw something up - so they get highly rated kibble.  The raw is a full balanced pre-made grind (i envision them tossing whole animals into a blender) and i rotate between raw steak, raw chicken gizzards and canned sardines (water only) There is a green product called "ju-ju" that is a mix of - well - green things (if the name didn't give it away) and bone broth. I read that goat's milk is high in natural probiotics and since adding that - Brick almost never gets diarrhea.  They get pureed pumpkin with every meal to keep all the guts running and i toss in random produce; strawberries, blueberries, carrots, green beans - Brick would sell his soul for a diet of bananas and watermelon!  

Untitled

*old pic. Maybe stopped eating fowl feet (reasons unknown) so i stopped buying them 

28312989 10156127221633890 1537943794 n

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2019 8:23 am
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Amazing Member

George and Murphy love dried chiken feet as a treat and they have loads of glucosamine in which is good for joint but better than the stick things you can buy.

When it comes to diet I dont think there is a hard right or wrong (apart from the pop tarts and chips! 😉 ) the best diet is the one that your dog enjoys/eats, the one they thrive on and the one that you can afford.

Murphy cant eat grain or beef. That leaves us with little choice when it comes to dry food and the vet food was so awful he didnt eat for 3 days when we tried that. Raw /barf means his allergies are virtually zero and his poop is finally normal.

My old beagle has problems with his pancreas so a very low fat diet kept him alive where raw or fatty wet food would have caused him suffering..

As long as we do our best then I think there is no one size fits all diet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2019 12:45 am
AmongTrees
(@amongtrees)
Fantastic Member

My farrier has 11 dogs and feeds a raw diet.  She has a special room to prepare it in because of how many dogs are on it.  Ha.  😉  

It's interesting to learn about different ways of feeding animals.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2019 5:20 am
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

@mad-murphy ohhh… I hope I didn’t sound like I was being obnoxious. I totally agree with you! Work has been dreadful the last 2 weeks and my thought trains are often sent off the tracks - hurling toward a river of lava 😆  I was referring to the people in the raw feeding groups on facebook who are so “all or nothing” that they are laughable.  They have no room for exception, they don’t research or study – they base all their life choices on memes.  They amuse me 😊 There was a woman with a pug who would fight to the death that her dog would only have the same diet as wolves…  not a reasonable comparison, in my opinion.  Yes, wolves are the closest relative – but we’ve also domesticated (and with excessive breeding) modified dogs to beings that have little resemblance to their early ancestors.  And the mini movie playing in my head of a pug nipping the heels of a buffalo… 🤣 

The same, of course, can be said for the groups that are anti-raw.  A friend just put me in a DCM group described as “open discussion” but if you suggest anything other than “Purina Pro Plan” they delete your comment and kick you out of the group.  Not much of a discussion – more of a brain wash.  From what I have read – from scientific minds – there IS an increase in Dilated Cardiomyopathy and they are theorizing the increase is related to the trend of “grain-free” dog foods….  Science has not yet confirmed, but they are looking for a connection between DCM and the binding ingredients (peas, legumes) that are used in place of grains.

The whole dog food thing is just *ugh* because it’s all created by big business… (I've read the vet diets are some of the worst of the worst)  But if it’s not one group paying for the research, it’s the other - so what do you do?   But, again, I agree with you – give them the best you can afford!

This post was modified 3 months ago by TheOneWithTheThumbs
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2019 11:19 am
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Amazing Member

@TheOneWithTheThumbs

Didnt think you were obnoxious at all.. had to smile at the pop tarts comment.

Youre right there are the absolute fanatics in both camps who just wont see any point of view but their own. But having had dog's who needed or wanted various diets I know there is no one right way to do it.

I've also read some very worrying reports about grain free foods causing dangerous illness in dogs golden retrievers being one breed who are worst affected.

I do know that diet stuff the vet gave us for Murphy smelled awful,no wonder he didn't want to eat it! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2019 11:34 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Would you like to receive my Red & Howling Cartoons, Helpful Pet Tips & More - delivered to your inbox for free every week? Get in on the fun and join over 300K+ Red & Howling fans by signing up now!

Buy art. Do good.
shop.redandhowling.com
©2019 redandhowling.com All rights reserved