Notifications
Clear all

Pets and Heat Don't Mix

Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin

DogsandHeat

When it's hot, please be mindful and careful with your fur kids.

KEEP in MIND: Dogs and cats can only sweat through panting and through their paws, so it is very hard for them to cool down even on a seemingly mild day. 

NEVER leave your animals in the car.  Even if you're "just running into the store for a few things".  Even on a cloudy, mild day, parked in the shade, with windows rolled down, a car can reach dangerous heat levels.  Hot cars can permanently damage your pets and even kill them.

Beware of hot surfaces on walks! Pavement, asphalt, wood, metal, sand & car seats can get blazing hot. These materials absorb heat from the sun and can stay hot for hours (even after the sun has gone down). Temperatures on these surfaces can exceed 145° F 

Test it with your hand, if it is too hot on your hand in 10 seconds, it is too hot for those cute paws! During hot weather, walk early in the morning and later in the evening. 

TIPS: Stick to grass and shade, avoid hot asphalt and sidewalks. Walk in the early morning and late evening when it is cooler. Carry water with you. Apply dog paw wax like Musher's which helps protect paws from heat. Limit exercise on very hot days.

Animals are my favorite kind of people.
Visit my Red & Howling Shop

Topic starter Posted : 07/06/2018 7:45 pm
Bryan
(@bryan)
Admin

Subscribe to Red & Howling on YouTube

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2018 1:34 pm
Bryan
(@bryan)
Admin

View the "Hot Cars Kill Dogs" post here:

https://redandhowling.com/2017/07/30/hot-cars-kill-dogs/

Download and print the pdf flyer "Please Don't Leave Us In The Car"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2018 1:38 pm
Zoeysma
(@zoeysma)

Hi, I am trying to find this post and the one about the pavement ( https://www.facebook.com/RedandHowling/posts/1710338739021377) so I can share to my LinkedIn, please. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2018 2:04 pm
Bryan
(@bryan)
Admin
Posted by: Zoeysma

Hi, I am trying to find this post and the one about the pavement ( https://www.facebook.com/RedandHowling/posts/1710338739021377) so I can share to my LinkedIn, please. Thank you.

@zoeysma I don't think the pavement one has been posted here yet - thank you for reminding us!  In the meantime, I'm embedding it into this thread here.

If you can link to this thread on the Community so people can see everything together, that would be great!  Here's the direct link:

https://redandhowling.com/community/pet-safety-wellness/heat-and-pets-dont-mix/

redandhowling hotpavement

Paws are rugged, but they are not superpower tough and they are easily scorched by hot surfaces.

Severe Burns to two or more paws can essentially leave your pet temporarily handicapped – not to mention bored and miserable – during the healing process.

TIPS: On warm and hot days, avoid walking on concrete and asphalt. Choose grassy areas and shady zones.

DID YOU KNOW? Sand, dirt, wood, metal, and dry grass can also be uncomfortably hot for your pet’s paws on hot days. If these surfaces are unavoidable, walk early in the morning and later in the evening when things cool down.

SYMPTOMS OF BURNED PAWS:

• Limping and aversion to walking.
  • Licking and chewing paws. 
  • Darker colored paw pads.
  • Blisters and redness on paws.

DO YOU SUSPECT BURNED PAWS?

• Rinse feet with cold water or use a cold compress.
  • Do not let your dog lick the injured pad(s).
  • See your vet as soon as possible.

PREVENTION IS THE BEST MEDICINE: 

1. Always perform the 5-Second asphalt test before walking.
  2. Check your dog’s paws after each walk.
  3. Consider investing in breathable, mesh booties.
  4. Apply paw wax like Mushers on pads before walking.
  5. Moisturize pads all year round, so they stay healthy and strong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2018 3:49 pm
LindaK
(@lindak)
Good Member

None of my  13  dogs like water to splash in, which is a pity because we get very high temperatures here in Turkey.  I've tried them with paddling pools but they just use them to drink out of!

I always keep a pile of large towels handy, and run them under the hosepipe, then place them over the dogs' backs.  They don't object to this and it helps to cool them down a bit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2018 11:08 am
Share:

Want another Red & Howling Cartoon? 🎲🎲

Want to see another cartoon?

🐾 Have something to say?
Jump to comment section! 🐾

Want to get more of my cartoons, stories and fun freebies delivered right to your inbox?

Join my Red and Howling family now!

Need More Red and Howling Fun?
📬Join My Cartoon Newsletter
🎲Surprise Me With a Cartoon Now!

©2020 redandhowling.com All rights reserved

Red and Howling Happy Hour T-Shirt

(Also available at shop.redandhowling.com)