TALONS  

RSS
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

I have always felt like some level of failure because I don’t cut my dogs’ nails.  Buuuut itttt’s haaaard!!

I obsessed over Maybe’s feet when she was a puppy – determined that I was going to maintain every inch of her, inside and out, and that she would live forever.  Then I quicked her. Is there any feeling worse than hurting your dog?  and like… technically…  on purpose? Brick came along and from day one, didn’t want his feet touched.  I taught him “right” and “left” and all nature of “give me your foot” to help.. but no. Not cutting his black nails ever ever ever! (I brush his teeth, clean his ears…  he’s not neglected, honest!) 

Up until an “incident” at Petsmart I was taking the dogs there.  Let the dogs hate a bunch of strangers, what do I care, right?  But… yea… we can’t ever go back sooo….  The Vet’s office is now charging $30 – each! Which I think is outrageous.  I’ve looked at switching vets, but several have excessive vaccine requirements that I’m not cool with.  A groomer is going to have way too much activity and noise for Brick – he’d be a wreck! We’re out of options.

I bought a dremel two weeks ago and we have been very very very slowly working our way up from. “Look at it on the floor” to “boop it with your nose”  because Brick – I don’t know – recognizes the smell of sandpaper?  Soon as I took it out of the box, he was GONE! Two nights ago, on setting #2, he let me run it down the full length of his leg.  So…  yay for progress, but OMG he’s going to maim someone for as long as this is going to take!!

So at the suggestion of a FB group and his teacher I decided what they hay, I’ll try the “sanding board”  and I am amazed and proud and like “whaaaaat!!”  and thought..  if anyone else out there can’t cut their dog’s nails, peep this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuK1BemjRdm/

Posted : 22/02/2019 9:52 am
Griff Mom
(@griff-mom)
Fantastic Member

@theonewiththethumbs

Cute video!  No getting down on yourself - cutting nails IS hard!!!  Black ones especially!

We switched to the dremel after maiming Woody a couple of times with those guillotine cutters - ARGH.  I agree, that is so traumatic, and it was my husband that was doing the cutting.  I was the accomplice though, holding him.  ☹️ 

The dremel tool is a slow getting used to deal, for certain.  I finally got Woody used to it to where I could do them myself and he was ultra cool.  Now he's gotten all fussy with it, and our Waggle girl just thinks it's girlie spa time that we spend together.  However when we first started the dremel w/ her, it was like we were torturing her.  All she could do was squirm, pant and put as much distance between us as physically possible. 

They remain opposites no matter what we do.   🤔 

Thinking about trying the DIY emery board for Woody.  What type of sandpaper do you use?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2019 1:44 pm
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

@griff-mom  last night i was looking at all Brick's nails - i think ONE has a white stripe, and Maybe's are half black, half white - so next time i go dog shopping i'm totally checking nail color! #dealbreaker! 🤣 

I just feel that if i had worked on this more when he was younger it wouldn't be so terrible now.  He's had his nails dremeled at PetSmart - and it takes at least two people to hold him.  But he doesn't like any loud noises.  When i vacuum i must have the back door open so he is free to run away. I won't have any help so i have to get him to a good place so i can do it alone, and no one gets hurt. So i will continue the "boop the dremel"   games with a heafty payout until he gets comfortable - which is realistically never. But thankfully this one from the amazon's tool department is so much quieter than the ones designed/marketed to dogs 🤔 🤣 

I was going to have the boyfriend build me something... but i thought if he were to go to all the work and it failed...  so i rummaged around and used the only sandpaper (and the smallest, least amount of mud caked on board) that i could find as a test.  This is 100 grit - and it really took his nails down fast.  I didn't want to overdo it and have him hurt himself, and he also tore the sandpaper in the middle - and i won't add more staples and increase the likelihood of a torn paw... I would probably go down a few grains and maybe get an 80 grit?  I found sheets in 12"x18" on amazon, but i can't feel them so ....  i'm just gonna wing it 😉 

My head is processing ideas...  but i'm thinking of a thrift store picture frame.  Maybe 12"x14" ?   It would hold all the edges of the sandpaper, but give a smooth/solid surface for him to paw at...  

For the record, Maybe is not much better.  I can hold her and cut, i'm working on the dremel, one nail for a second at a time.  The big difference is that she is much more forgiving if i make a mistake. 😆 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2019 2:40 pm
AmongTrees
(@amongtrees)
Fantastic Member

Nails are a problem for my pug, Pompey.  He'll just be coming around and then I'll nip the quick.  He's got a couple of nails where the quick comes down really far.  I also can't continue to take him to the vet.  It's expensive and I don't want him associating the vet with an unhappy experience.

I have a dremel tool with a nail guard.  The thing makes me nervous 😉  so it's more me than anything.  Pom is a strong dog so it's hard for me to hold him if he doesn't want to be trimmed.  I'm still working with him to get him to sit quietly, but it's a long process considering he's been with me almost a year.  

Miss Keezy, at age 8 is now quite good for her nails, thank goodness.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 3:54 am
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

I AM TRYING SO HARD....  i'm on the verge of taking them to the vet to have the vet chop them down - with the thinking that i will work harder every day thereafter to keep them under control.  But i don't want to give up..  but then i set myself back and i want to just take them off at the ankle!

Got a new pair of clippers, recommended by a groomer friend as the most bestest!  Had the BF hold Brick on Sunday, i just wanted to take a tiny piece off to see if these clippers were better...  He SCREAMED (Brick, not the BF) and i was just crushed.  I don't think i hurt him, i think he just panicked and he knows that mom will back off if he acts hurt.  (he's never screamed when anyone else has done it, tho everyone else that has done it has some level of training...)

😭 😭 😭 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 2:38 pm
AmongTrees
(@amongtrees)
Fantastic Member

Ah - The Scream.  

My first Jack Russell, Eddie would use The Scream on new veterinarians.  It was because when he shrieked once at a new vet's office, the doctor jumped back and didn't want to come close again.  Eddie thought this was GREAT! 

He would try that on other vets, but if they ignored him then there were no issues.  He eventually stopped trying it on.

You may have to ignore The Scream and pretend that it didn't happen, especially since you are sure that you haven't hurt him.  Try to take a deep breath, don't look him in the eye, and calmly just hold the foot and bring the clippers to it...then away....make the clippers clip, but not on the foot.  If he screams just keep going as if he didn't.  You might want to pick a word to use when calming him and you while working on nail clipping and he reacts.  Even the word "calm" would work and say it in a low, strong, commanding voice.  Not sharp.  It may help you both.  🙂 

When you are both comfortable around the clippers and holding them then try a little snip...

I have to do that with Pompey and it's sooo slow, but I'm determined to be able to trim his nails or use the dremel.  🙂

Edited to add that I've been working on Pompey's nails for almost a year now.  😉  It ain't easy.

This post was modified 4 months ago by AmongTrees
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 3:42 pm
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

@amongtrees thank you!  i always feel better knowing that other people have the same troubles.

Until i got these new clippers, i was actually using the handle to "pinch" a toe.  Not hard - just the pressure, and lots of treats.  A couple weeks ago - using clippers - was taking off the tiniest bit of his back nails then pouring treats on him.  I know i absolutely never hurt him - and he got a million doggy calories, but now he's not having it - at all.

A year, huh?  Guess i better get that sandpaper ordered. lol

52708455 10157032924378890 1885697132086689792 n

Don't touch my nails selfie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 3:49 pm
AmongTrees
(@amongtrees)
Fantastic Member

Sounds like you are doing everything right!   Look at that face!  hee hee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 4:39 pm
Mad Murphy
(@mad-murphy)
Amazing Member

Im so lucky with Murphy, although weve practiced with nails from the beginning he never needs them clipped.

Benny was a nightmare if he even caught a glimpse of the clippers he would back into his kennel and growl like a monster.

So it took two of us, my daughter to tempt him into the kitchen where she grabbed and held him and then I would rush in clip the nails and let go, it was like rodeoing a wild steer and he was just a little beagle. !

Sandpaper sounds like a great idea!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2019 2:09 am
AmongTrees
(@amongtrees)
Fantastic Member

Benny!  What a character.  😉  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2019 2:10 am
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

aw. poor Benny...  

I've stocked up on super yummy food things (Hare of the dog) and Brick's been a total butt!  He tries to push his way in and just steal the treats - they're that good!  But i got TWO of Maybe's nails last night!  🤩  I'm doing "snip snip, we're done" and just walking away.  Trying to make it a "no big deal" thing.

Funny, when i clean her ears, she's laying on her side, head down.  I feel her tense up, like she's going to move and i say "ah ah!" and she relaxes and lets me finish.  Wish i had the same confidence and authority on nails. lol.

Brick's back nails, in my opinion, are "good enough" and i might not stress his front nails so much, but when he hits me - it hurts!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2019 7:56 am
TheOneWithTheThumbs
(@theonewiththethumbs)
Fantastic Member

Last night Brick had class - everything gets pushed out of schedule on school nights, and if we get stuck late, it's even worse.  I foolishly let the dogs out to potty after dinner, then still tried to do our dremel boops and hit Maybe with the clippers.

Her nails were wet from doing her patrol around the yard.  She was being moderately agreeable and i tried to cut one and it would not cut!  It just kind of...  bent.  Like chewing on a pen cap - it deforms but never actually severs?  I was starting to panic, but didn't want her to freak .. i just started laughing.  Never did finish the cut, but rained treats on her anyway.

I felt like i'd just cut my friends bangs and was trying to convince her "what? no! they look great! you're just not used to them yet!"

My poor dogs! 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2019 2:27 pm
Share:
Would you like to receive my Red & Howling Cartoons, Helpful Pet Tips & More - delivered to your inbox for free every week? Get in on the fun and join over 300K+ Red & Howling fans by signing up now!

Buy art. Do good.
shop.redandhowling.com
©2019 redandhowling.com All rights reserved