Notifications
Clear all

My First: Pepito

Red & Howling
(@redandhowling)
Obsessed Dog Lady Admin

I've lived among animals my entire life, rehabbing raccoons, saving orphaned ducklings, feeding fledglings, and gladly welcoming strays into the household.  But when you bring an animal into your own adult life it takes on a new meaning and when you lose that friend, it is a sorrow that is uniquely painful.  My first love was Pepito.  I traveled to Mexico with a Greenpeace photographer who was on assignment taking photos of a polluted river.  He needed a car and I needed a break from my grief (I had just lost my dad), so I packed up my trunk with dog food, knowing the problems with strays and overpopulation in Mexico, and headed over the border.  

What I saw will never leave my mind.  I saw many big dogs dead on the side of the road, I saw men swinging parrots in tiny cages selling them for dollars.  When we stopped to take photos, I  spread out dog food for the skinny, scruffy dogs on the streets.  My goal was to get as many dogs in my car and bring them home as I could.  They were streetwise and skittish, so none of them would get close to me, but this little speck of a dog.  He couldn't even move very fast he was so tiny, so I scooped him up and brought him home.  He was with me for 16 beautiful years.  He was with me through 7 moves, 2 states, and 1 grueling divorce.

Like many people, I was faced with the decision of saying goodbye.  Just when I thought it was time, Pepito would perk up and I was relieved to have a little more time with him.  Eventually, his advanced kidney failure determined the outcome, he could not walk anymore, there was no joy in his eyes, he would not eat.  Looking back, I probably kept him around a lot longer than I should have, but the road to this decision is paved with many regrets and doubts.  

Not that anyone is asking,  but I just suggest, if you can afford it, do it at home in a happy, special place with a special toy, a blanket, soft music.  Make sure the vet isn't freaked out by death and doesn't rush the process.  

I buried my boy on my mom's property in the woods under a beautiful Mountain Laurel.  He was wrapped in a favorite quilt.  I saved a lock of his soft beautiful fur.  There will never be another Pepito.  The dog who found a stray ball in any park or woods.  The trees on my mom's 14 acres were filled with tennis balls wedged between branches.  If I didn't hide them, Pepito would play ball until he couldn't move.  He'd play ball and not remember to poop! 

As I write this now, I'm tearing up all over again like it happened yesterday.  What I wouldn't give to hug my little man again. I love you Peppy.

Screen Shot 2018 06 09 at 3.07.46 PM
Pepito

Animals are my favorite kind of people.
Visit my Red & Howling Shop

Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2018 5:28 pm
Doslittlechihuahuas, Charlie, by5946 and 2 people liked
sundi
(@sundi)
Good Member

What a handsome boy Pepito was ❤️ And what an amazing story of you two finding each other.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2018 4:09 pm
by5946
(@by5946)

What a beautiful story, pepito was very cute, I've got teary eyes reading this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2018 7:34 pm
Pegacorn
(@pegacorn)
Great Member

OMG! I am sitting at work trying to distract myself from my decision and the inevitable. Reading through this section is so heartwarming. I am so amazed that all these stories are linking my past and my present together in a chain of happy memories.

My first was a little dog named Frog rescued from the desert near the border in AZ. Your little Pepito reminds me of Frog. What a cutie!

More recently, I went on a mission trip to build a house in Mexico with my Special Needs girls. Dogs everywhere, barking dogs tied up to metal bars on the windows, rope so short they could barely sit down.  Matted little dogs on rooftops, dogs running wild through the streets with the kids, cats and chickens too. They clearly love their pets (I don't think the chickens were pets.) down there, but it is a different world. Who am I to judge.

While we were building the home, the mom, of the family we were building it for, and I got to talking about dogs. So many were running around us and she had a special little Chihuahua who was 12 in a pink sparkly doggie shirt. I showed her pics of my babies and talked about how much we love them. Then she motions to her son and he runs off coming back with an adorable little scruffy, wiry mutt pup. Thinking him showing off his puppy, I hold the pup and kiss him until one of his many ticks attach to my thumb. Gracefully I try to give him back the pup before I do the "is there any more ticks on me" dance, and he holds out both hands in the stop position and points to me. Uh oh!

I'm shaking my head and holding tick laden pup at arms length when the Father jumps down from the ladder and gestures clearly "We (tapping his chest with both hands), my familia and I (sweeping his hand to include his son, wife and daughter), GIVE You this puppy (back and forth from his chest to me). I was in trouble.

We had been coached to except hospitality. You know don't turn down meat, even if you are vegan, because it's all they have in the world and it would be rude to refuse. But they just GAVE Me a puppy!

I have an elderly Dane at home who would not approve (even if her side kick loves puppies). It would not be right. I don't do puppies. I only take older needy dogs. I was already smitten.

I had to get the group to talk me down. 😑 I enlisted the local bilingual pastor to help me let them know I couldn't (not for wanting) take the pup without Vet. shots, paperwork, etc... We had to board a plane and fly away the next day, there was no way I could of gotten away with crossing the border with him. (On our way over the border there was so many chihuahua puppies held up to our windows and slung over the shoulders of hawkers, cheaper than dirt and so sad to think how many get stuffed under seats to smuggle out. Please don't buy any if you are in a position to do so, even to Save them, it just makes them breed more. Pups have to have 30 days of a rabies immunity and can be vaccinated  only after 16 weeks to come from Mexico to the US. And the hawkers will lie and tell you it's legal and they have paperwork.) 😪 I have been thinking about that pup ever since.

I wish, at least, I could go back and hand out some Advantage.  🙂 Oh well, some losses are not as clean as others. I just have to keep thinking good thoughts in his direction and know there is another older needy big slobbery dog over the horizon for me.

Thank you for this community! ❤️  ❤️  ❤️  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2018 8:03 pm
Doslittlechihuahuas
(@doslittlechihuahuas)
Great Member

We know exactly how you feel Amy. Thank you for sharing this story. We are lucky to have this community to help us. For me the grief is still with me daily six months into my sweet Souki’s passing. I was going to help her cross at home too but I kept putting off calling off an at home vet because I kept praying she would get better...then Souki took a turn for the worse really quick and I had no choice to take her to an emergency clinic. I regret it today...if I only had one more second, minute, hour, day, or month with my girl....I’d give anything. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2018 7:14 pm
Pegacorn liked
Share:

Want another Red & Howling Cartoon? 🎲🎲

Want to see another cartoon?

🐾 Have something to say?
Jump to comment section! 🐾

Want to get more of my cartoons, stories and fun freebies delivered right to your inbox?

Join my Red and Howling family now!

Need More Red and Howling Fun?
📬Join My Cartoon Newsletter
🎲Surprise Me With a Cartoon Now!

©2020 redandhowling.com All rights reserved

Red and Howling Dogs Make Life Better T-Shirt

(Also available at shop.redandhowling.com)